Sunday, July 15, 2012

My "Lonely" Weekend

Lonely isn't exactly the word I would use to describe my weekend, but knowing that the other students were away, a friend of mine back home asked how my "lonely weekend" went. In truth, it was just peaceful.

The past weekend, ISM was taking the students to Palanga, a coastal city along the Baltic Sea. Knowing that this trip wasn't really school related, knowing it would mean missing church again, and also hearing that Palanga was more of a city for partying than anything, I didn't really want to go. I imagined a weekend feeling out of place, and although I thought it might be nice to go to the beach, weighing my options, I decided to stay in Vilnius.

It was a great decision. I started out my weekend by sleeping in, and then Friday I blogged and had a long walk all over town. I went to the oldest church in Vilnius, to the Museum of Contemporary Art, to the streets where the Jewish ghetto used to be, into several little shops, to several churches, to Gediminas Tower, and to the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. I have a couple more things on my "sight-seeing to-do" list, but all in all, it was a great day, and I was very tired at the end.

Friday night brought another long night of sleep, which I was thankful for, and Saturday I went with the Millers. The day involved thrift store shopping, doing laundry, and cleaning the church, which had partially flooded with the heavy rain last week.

Of course Sunday was church, and I was more than ready. Pastor Tony Miller preached a great message that definitely reminded me about some things. Of course the church services also led to me meeting even more people. Church in Vilnius is just wonderful. It's great to see how excited the people can be about the things of God. I feel so blessed to be here to see it and take part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment